Monday, June 04, 2007

The Return of the Chronicle of Cliche: Peter King

It's been a long time since we've chronicled any cliches, but Peter King's latest MMQB is so full of them we have to resurrect it...er, bring it back to life...er, do it again. Remember, In "Politics and the English Language," George Orwell's first rule of good English usage is "Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print." We consider it worth the effort to chronicle the overused metaphors of particularly bad writers.

As usual, we're focusing on overused cliches, so we ignore basic overused idioms (such as "face it" or "there's no end in sight") and we ignore metaphoric language that shows some creativity. We chronicle overused metaphors, and Peter King gives us plenty.

"buck the trend" (King will not, however, buck any trend involving a cliche).

"take the pulse of"

"Worked like a charm"

"can stand toe-to-toe with"

"My NFC darkhorse" (Are there real darkhorses? Were there ever?)

"go out on a limb"

"brain drain"

"they have the linebacking backbone"

"Memo to" (Memo to aspiring writers: the phrase "memo to" is a hackneyed cliche).

"calling you every name in the book"

"you sounded like a sledgehammer"

"beating this dogfighting rap."

"I'd bet you a lot of money that"

"pulled the trigger on"

"will be as Herculean a task" (I'm starting to feel that chronicling King's cliches is an Herculean task).

"pushing aside the mountain of stuff they have on their plates" (they have metaphorical mountains on their metaphorical plates. We're quite removed from direct language here).

"the entrepreneurial spirit will be alive" (Is the entrepreneurial spirit any relation to the spirit of fantasy football?)

"some deep-pocketed people"

"It's a heck of a hill to climb"

"If he had let it die"

"a no-harm, no-foul incident"

"I guess I should have a scintilla of interest in Cleveland-San Antonio, but I don't." (I've never heard the word "scintilla" used outside of hyperbole. It's usually only used, as King uses it, to say that there is not even a scintilla. I don't hear people speak of actual scintillas, whatever they may be, but only the absence of scintillas).

"the occasional 163-158 Nets-Suns barnburner" (A barn burner like Abner Snopes?)

"this sea-change."

Overuse of metaphor is a sure sign of a lazy, uncreative, or bad writer. Overuse of criticism of overuse of metaphor is, without a doubt, a sure sign of a prickly English professor.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:05 PM

    The scintilla comment is a bit much - had he said "I guess I should have a tiny amount of interest in Cleveland-San Antonio" it would've been fine. Scintilla means "a tiny amount," so it's just pompous wording - not really a cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true--I'm so used to seeing "scintilla" only in the negative form ("there's not a scintilla of...") that I see it as its own cliche.

    It's also one of my pet peeves (cliche!) when a sportswriter that mostly covers one sport writes about how he/she isn't interested in another sport. It seems pointless. There are a lot of things in life I'm not interested in, but when I'm talking about something else, I don't usually chime in to say "And I'm not interested in ballet."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:34 PM

    Nice list of King cliches.

    I'm a writer, and I notice these things in Peter King's columns week by week.

    but it's sports writing - the entire industry is based on people uncreative enough to ever have a single thought that isn't unanimously believed.

    -Crushinator

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:19 PM

    It's also one of my pet peeves (cliche!) when a sportswriter that mostly covers one sport writes about how he/she isn't interested in another sport. It seems pointless.

    In King's case, though, he always does this, and he (generally) keeps it confined to one brief list, more or less. It also wasn't random - the biggest sporting event of the upcoming week is the NBA finals, and he didn't say anything other than that bit.

    I still say that was just pompous wording, though. It's difficult to call it a cliche, considering the word's being used exactly as it's supposed to be used. The fact that you only see it in the negative form is simply because the "tiny amount" words aren't really conducive to being used otherwise. You see the same effects with iota, for instance.

    Then again, PK using pompous wording is probably using it as a cliche, considering he normally keeps his writing style (thankfully!) simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Memo to English professors: the phrase "hackneyed cliche" is a hackneyed cliche.

    It's funny that you use a cliche to critique King's cliche's...isn't this called irony?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fair enough (though "hackneyed cliche" is an overused phrase, not a worn-out metaphor, which is what I'm really targeting).

    Like any writer, I make the same mistakes I condemn (Orwell himself in "Politics and the English Language" recognized he likely broke his own rules in that very essay). I welcome being called on it. If SI ever pays me to write a column, I'd welcome you to chronicle my use of worn-out metaphors in a blog. Hell, do it now--I would find it helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to chat your blog, I seem to be forward to more reliable articles and I think we all wish to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us. Cronaca L’Aquila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Took me time to understand all of the comments, but I seriously enjoyed the write-up. It proved being really helpful to me and Im positive to all of the commenters right here! Its constantly nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I am certain you had enjoyable writing this write-up. https://www.3dprn.com/categoria-prodotto/stampanti-3d/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m excited to uncover this page. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new information in your site. bistecchiera amc

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job ! cronaca pescara

    ReplyDelete