Friday, June 22, 2007

Fantasy Preview: the Carolina Panthers

The premise is simple: I'll tell you what players you can confidently start the season with, and what players should cause your stomach to wobble if you have to start them.

Carolina Panthers
2006 stats at NFL.com and pro-football-reference.com

Steve Smith (WR): it is a joyful experience to have Steve Smith on your fantasy team. You should just smile if he’s on your team, and enjoy the transcendent feeling of having Steve Smith in your lineup.

DeAngelo Williams (RB): I think this is the year for Williams to go bananas, and I’d be willing to gamble on him week one. He’ll break out with a huge fantasy performance right away and keep his spot in the starting lineup all year long.

Defense: statistically, the ‘06 Panther defense wasn’t a great defense. I still wouldn’t throw up if I had to start it.

I’m worried about Jake Delhomme getting benched for David Carr, though that probably shouldn’t stop you from starting him week one (he won’t get benched that quick, will he?). Still, there are at least 12 quarterbacks better than Delhomme. He’s a viable fantasy backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment