Thursday, June 07, 2007

Third Quarter Blizzard

Weren't we supposed to not want Detroit in the Finals because it would be boring? This is pretty dull. I've found myself sorting through sports cards and surfing the internet. Here are some of the things I've looked at.

Via PFT, WVEC and the AJC report on federal authorities doing an independent investigation of the Vick/dog fighting case and searching the property.

Bill Russell has been blogging the NBA playoffs. 11 championship rings Bill freaking Russell has been giving his thoughts on the basketball goings on.

I really appreciate the websites out there doing rigid statistical analysis of sports; they offer us some firmer understanding of the games we watch. Though I share Dostoevsky's skepticism about rational systems for human behavior and reality (see Notes from the Underground), and I don't always agree with the way such studies can be presented (as infallible and final), I utilize such studies to understand the games better. Such statistical analysis does give us a more accurate understanding of what is going on. The Wages of Wins, one such statistical website, has two more looks at the NBA Finals, here and here.

11 point Spurs lead? This is getting worse before it's getting better. Oh, well: LeBron is a legend for what he did last week to the Pistons, but we remember what he did (and didn't do) in game one of that series.

The Spurs can actually be fun to watch, though. Duncan is not as boring as I once thought, and both Parker and Ginobli really drive the lane pretty well. But to paraphrase a guy I (unfortunately) occasionally watch during the day: "Game One, I'm just not that into you."

No comments:

Post a Comment