Friday, February 23, 2007

Chuck Klosterman on Viking fans

You can read Michael Rand's interview with Klosterman at Randball.

Here's a selection:

"unlike football fans in other cities - Viking fans actually enjoy the experience of losing important games; it somehow validates the futility of their existence. There is some abstract, undefinable quality that makes anyone associated with the Viking organization a failure....If Minnesota ever won a Super Bowl, it would be like Sisyphus losing his rock. As such, Viking fans are not tortured at all. They are simply embracing their self-reflexive doom to the highest possible degree. It’s actually somewhat noble."

Um...I guess. But I already understand the futility of my existence; I would sort of like a championship to give me a few smiles on my journey into the abyss.

Oh, and this is almost the exact opposite thing Klosterman once said in an interview with Bill Simmons:

"What I love about Red Sox fans is their sense of doomed destiny; they almost want to lose, because that failure is romantic. This is far different from, say, Minnesota Vikings fans, as they always believe -- and I mean always -- that this is the year. And it never is, and it never will be."

As Walt Whitman said, "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

No comments:

Post a Comment