Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Another year closer to death

"Loveliest of Trees, the Cherry Now" by A. E. Housman

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

Another year goes by, and there's one fewer chance that I'll see the Vikings win a Super Bowl before I die.

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about that today. I'm 25, but I don't have time to bleed being a Browns fan. I'm starting to wonder. I'm sure my uncle is really starting to wonder. Die hard fan all his life, he's pushing 50.

    Makes me jealous in hatred all that much more for the Pats. Luckily, you're young like me, I think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, thanks for the uplifting post, pv. I feel so much better now about my Browns fandom. Not! Have a happy new year, blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I get my "three score and ten," I've got around 43 more chances. But there are a lot of franchises that have existed for 43+ years without winning a championship during that time.

    For some reason, the limitations (just one chance a year) really make me consider mortality in a precise way.

    ReplyDelete