Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fantasy Dilemma: Steve Smith without Jake Delhomme

The Charlotte Observer (via Ballhype) reports that David Carr is probably starting for the Panthers this week. Will Brinson asks whether Carr is a valid fantasy starter this weekend. I've got a different question:

Should Steve Smith go to the bench?

On it's own, that question has an obvious answer: God no. So let's revise that:

Should Steve Smith go to the bench, provided you've got a viable alternative?

Last season, Steve Smith caught no TDs when Delhomme was out (and even had zero receptions in one game). Carr is better than Chris Weinke, and he did enjoy forcing it to Andre Johnson as much as Delhomme enjoys forcing it to Smith. But Carr doesn't seem as likely to connect on deep passes with Smith, he doesn't have the same chemistry with Smith Delhomme has, and at any rate they'll be facing a tough Tampa defense.

I'm thinking of benching Smith, one of the top 2 or 3 fantasy WRs, this week. To personalize this, I can start four of the following: Adrian Peterson, Laurence Maroney, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, or Roy Williams (I suppose I could slip Kevin Curtis in against a weak Giants' secondary, but I won't). I planned on leaving Maroney on the bench, but with Jake Delhomme out, I'm now considering benching Steve Smith.

Would you bench Steve Smith if you've got a viable alternative? The liars in the Hazelweird League are free to answer (though we should ignore them). And I'm not raising the question just for myself, but for all those fantasy owners out there loving the Steve Smith Experience. Is this a week to bench Smith?

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:09 PM

    Of course you bench him. I have another option for you. Noticing that you have Reggie Wayne on your team, why not trade Smith for Marvin Harrison? This way you would have essentially what is the WR corp for Indianapolis (although Clark might poach a few tds). You know Manning is going to throw 1 td minimum every week and usually more like 2-4 tds. If you have both Harrison and Wayne you don't have to worry about Harrison stealing all your TD points. Go with Manning and his WR duo by trading for Harrison. Time to abandon the Steve Smith Experience. It is now doomed for failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an option for you HH, trade Marvin Harrison for Larry Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:19 PM

    Harrison for LJ?

    Lets compare the two.

    Harrison so far has 223 yds and 1 td = 14.92 pts

    LJ so far has 211 yds = 8.44 pts.

    So Harrison already is outproducing LJ, combine that with the fact I have 2 RBs who both have outproduced LJ by triple and another star who sucks on my bench with an injury (Steven Jackson) I dont really see why I would want to.

    However, if you want to trade LJ. I am willing to part with Steven Jackson and Harrison for LJ and Chad Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Which by the way if you traded LJ and Chad Johnson for Jackson and Harrison I would wonder if you lost your marbles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Marvin Harrison for Steve Smith.

    Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:34 PM

    The new color scheme hurts my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just for temp temp, not for perm perm.

    You know, several years ago I think I left my Marino jersey at Brad's apt. for a fantasy draft, and I always forgot to get it back. It's too bad: I'd wear it to the game on Sunday if I still had it (despite it being a jersey I got in 7th grade that fits as such).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have my Marino jersey from 1st grade if you're interested.

    Apparently I'm the more loyal fan, I don't just leave my Marino jersey laying around.

    ReplyDelete