Friday, July 06, 2007

Fantasy Preview: the San Francisco 49ers

The premise is simple: I'll tell you what players you can confidently start the season with, and what players should cause your stomach to wobble if you have to start them.

San Francisco 49ers
2006 stats at NFL.com and pro-football-reference.com

Frank Gore (RB): Gore was an extremely productive RB in 2006; I have my doubts he'll match that production in 2007.

Vernon Davis (TE): There are just so many TEs available that I'd be willing to start. That convinces me further that if you're not going to pay up for Antonio Gates, you may as well wait around.

If Darrell Jackson were healthy and still on the Seahawks, he'd be in my top-10 WRs. As it is, he's a WR with injury concerns switching teams playing with an inferior QB. He's definitely worth a spot on your roster, just not on your week one starting lineup. Alex Smith was not productive enough in 2006 to be a backup fantasy QB. However, given the massive improvement he made between '05 and '06, he's worth the roster spot, because he might be a worthy starter by midseason.

No comments:

Post a Comment